[lbo-talk] Hillary thinks constructively about flag-burning

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jun 23 07:26:48 PDT 2005

<http://clinton.senate.gov/~clinton/news/2005/2005623351.html>

June 22, 2005

Statement of Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton on the Proposed Constitutional Amendment to Ban Flag Desecration

"As I have said in the past, I support federal legislation that would outlaw flag desecration, much like laws that currently prohibit the burning of crosses, but I don't believe a constitutional amendment is the answer.

Burning or destroying an American flag is a despicable act that disrespects the sacrifices of our brave veterans and soldiers who fought to protect the very freedom of speech that flag burners exploit. I find this abhorrent and will endeavor to make sure our laws reflect this. Thankfully, we are fortunate that flag desecration is rare. As offensive as each act of desecration is, amending our Constitution should be a rare and extreme measure, which we should only resort to when all legislative options have been exhausted. Those few who would destroy a flag are not worthy of the response of amending our founding document.

I know that for millions of Americans who proudly wore the uniform of our country in past years and for our brave men and women currently serving and fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, our flag is a constant reminder of all of their sacrifices. One of the freedoms our soldiers sacrifice to defend is the right of all Americans to speak freely.

When I ran for the Senate in 2000, I stated my opposition to amending the Constitution. When I began my service as Senator, I promised to consider carefully the arguments in favor of this Amendment. I appreciate all the New Yorkers, especially the veterans, whom I represent, who took the time to express their feelings.

People feel passionately about this issue, and I have listened carefully and weighed the arguments. At the end of the day, I remain committed to the principle that we should not change the most fundamental and enduring framework of our democracy to respond to the reprehensible actions of a few who fail to honor the blessings of liberty."