[lbo-talk] Utopia (was: Weber's polar night)

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 14:49:25 PDT 2005

> > how could utopia not be a desirable goal? Utopia is, by definition,
> > desirable. (Of course, different people have different utopias.) It
> > is unobtainable, however, as you note.
> > JD

Gar:
> Undesirable in terms of most imagined utopias are also static an end
> state. Because I think progress is possible - though unlikely, an
> "end state" for society is to me undesirable.

good point. But I don't see why a utopia couldn't be dynamic. Most utopian novelists lack the imagination, it's true, but the "recipe for the cookshops of the future" that Charlie Andrews sketches in his CAPITALISM AND EQUALITY is dynamic.

BTW, I see a utopia as simply a goal. It would change as people debate it and propose new ones.

-- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.