[lbo-talk] When is private property NOT?

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Jun 24 08:12:54 PDT 2005

The Michigan Supreme Court recently went the other way on this. I think they were interpreting the Michigan Constitution's eminent domain provision. If so, in Michigan , local governments would still violate the _Michigan_ constitutional public purpose requirement of eminent domain , if they were to take for another private interest. This decision reversed an earlier Michigan Supreme Court case which went the same way as the one the that just came from the U.S. Supreme Court. The earlier case involved General Motors, Detroit and socalled Poletown, a largely Polish neighborhood that was destroyed by the taking for GM and for jobs.

In both the recent Michigan case and the U.S. Sup case reported yesterday , the rightwingers and Federalist Society members are the ones "protecting" the personal private property rights of the largely working class potential losers.

What gives ? negation of negation, the worse the better ? Is there some type of structural division in the ruling class we might exploit ?

Charles