[lbo-talk] Iraqi communication licensing conference (and Private Property)

Sean Johnson Andrews inciteinsight at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 24 10:33:08 PDT 2005

This Iraqi telecommunications conference is being managed by a surviellance technology firm called International Procurement Services http://www.intpro.co.uk/. I haven't had much time to dig deeper, but it seems strange that it would be managed by such a firm.

The website for the conference, unlike this e-mail from the US department of Commerce below-- makes no mention of the coming auction of mobile licenses. I think this indicates that these licenses will be owned by these firms. In the discussion of private property going on, this seems like the ultimate understanding of "eminant domain:" ownership via invasion. The statement also mentions that it will be important for whoever "wins" the contracts to have a concern for intellectual property rights. I wonder what this will mean about the development of the Iraqi communications infrastructure. In addition to creating a free market utopia there, perhaps there will be more of an expieriment with the kind of totally controlled infrastructure media corporations desire in this country. I hate to suspect everything that happens in Iraq as part of an international conspiracy, but it seems to be a relatively truthful portrait so far.

Mobile Telecommunications Licensing Conference July 21-22, 2005, London, U.K. The Iraqi National Communication & Media Commission (NCMC) will host a mobile licensing conference in July 2005. This event is the pre-cursor to the mobile license auctions scheduled to be held at the end of 2005, the most important Iraqi telecommunications project of the year. For more information and to register for this event, please see the attached event flyer and event website: http://www.iraqdevelopmentprogram.org/idp/imt/ncmc.htm . Don't miss this opportunity to learn about Iraq's latest plans for mobile telecommunications licensing!