[lbo-talk] RE: Sad Songs Say So Much

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jun 24 12:37:49 PDT 2005

paul childs wrote:

>On a related note, I defy anyone to get through Lou Reed's album
>'Berlin' without the urge to 'swallow a grenade'. It's the story of
>a relationship imploding violently. The background sounds on at
>least one track include children screaming.

<http://www.alwaysontherun.net/lou.htm#28>

The Kids

They're taking her children away Because they said she was not a good mother They're taking her children away Because she was making it with sisters and brothers And everyone else, all of the others Like cheap officers who would stand there and flirt in front of me

They're taking her children away Because they said she was not a good mother They're taking her children away Because of the things that they heard she had done The black Air Force sergeant was not the first one And all of the drugs she took, every one, every one

And I am the Water Boy, the real game's not over here But my heart is overflowin' anyway I'm just a tired man, no words to say But since she lost her daughter It's her eyes that fill with water And I am much happier this way

They're taking her children away Because they said she was not a good mother They're taking her children away Because number on was the girl friend from Paris The things that they did - ah - they didn't have to ask us And then the Welshman from India, who came here to stay

They're taking her children away Because they said she was not a good mother They're taking her children away Because of the things she did in the streets In the alleys and bars, no she couldn't be beat That miserable rotten slut couldn't turn anyone away