[lbo-talk] Italy seeks 'CIA kidnap agents'

Mycos mycos at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 24 13:04:24 PDT 2005

Yeah, Dammit! Lemme explain.

I woke up this morning reading the "crawl" along the bottom of my TV news channel. My first thought was 'Great!' The Sgrena thing has mushroomed into a CIA sponsored hit on her. I was thinking 'Wow!', this is really going to strain the neocons relationship with the rest of the world. But alas.... 'twas the case. But I can settle for this in a far distant second place, I guess....<g>

ravi wrote:
> Italy seeks 'CIA kidnap agents'
> Italian authorities have issued arrest warrants for 13 people they claim
> are agents "linked to the CIA".
>
> The suspects are accused of abducting an Islamic cleric in Milan in 2003
> and flying him to Egypt for interrogation.
>
> Osama Mustafa Hassan, also known as Abu Omar, was already being
> investigated in Italy as part of a terrorism inquiry.
>
> Italian prosecutors believe the operation was part of a controversial US
> anti-terror policy known as "extraordinary rendition".
>
> The policy involves seizing suspects and taking them to third countries
> without court approval.
>
> Human rights organisations say some of the countries to which terror
> suspects have been deported are known to use torture, and critics have
> branded it "torture by proxy".
>
> The US embassy in Rome has not commented on the arrest warrants issued
> against the 13 people - 10 men and three women.

snip

--

Gary Williams

http://mycos.blogspot.com/