[lbo-talk] Sad Songs Say So Much

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 13:41:49 PDT 2005

How about Melissa Manchester's "Don't Cry Out Loud"? So saturated with bathos it's almost self-parody, yet still pretty damn depressing. And while "One" by Metallica isn't exactly cheery [Reynolds included it in his list], I think their lesser-known "Fade to Black" elegy from their classic days beats that one, hands down. Lyrics below.

----

"Don't Cry Out Loud" Melissa Manchester

Baby cried the day the circus came to town 'cause she didn't want parades just passin' by her So she painted on a smile and took up with some clown While she danced without a net upon the wire I know a lot about 'er 'cause, you see Baby is an awful lot like me

Don't cry out loud Just keep it inside, learn how to hide your feelings Fly high and proud And if you should fall, remember you almost had it all

Baby saw that when they pulled that big top down They left behind her dreams among the litter The different kind of love she thought she'd found There was nothin' left but sawdust and some glitter But baby can't be broken 'cause you see She had the finest teacher-that was me

I told her:

Don't cry out loud Just keep it inside and learn how to hide your feelings Fly high and proud And if you should fall, remember you almost had it all

------

Metallica "Fade to Black"

Life it seems, will fade away Drifting further every day Getting lost within myself Nothing matters no one else I have lost the will to live Simply nothing more to give There is nothing more for me Need the end to set me free

Things are not what they used to be Missing one inside of me Deathly lost, this can’t be real Cannot stand this hell I feel

Emptiness is filling me To the point of agony Growing darkness taking dawn I was me, but now he’s gone

No one but me can save myself, but it’s too late Now I can’t think, think why I should even try

Yesterday seems as though it never existed Death greets me warm, now I will just say good-bye