[lbo-talk] Bill Cosby's Speech- Help!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jun 24 17:38:29 PDT 2005

Manjur Karim wrote:

>I don't remember whether it was on this list where there were some
>discussions on Bill Cosby's
>speech at Howard University last year. If memory
>serves me right, at the risk of rather open-ended
>paraphrasing, Cosby preached in that speech that
>African Americans should not be concerned with racial
>discrimination and rather focus on participating in
>the "Great American Dream." A friend of mine needs a
>transcript of the speech for a paper she is working on
>but not being able to locate it on the Internet. Can
>anyone help?

Oddly enough I'm just about to post the radio show with my interview with Michael Eric Dyson, who's written a book on it. The text is in the book (Is Bill Cosby Right?, from Basic's Civitas imprint). Dyson was on the O'Reilly show a few weeks ago and kicked O'R's ass. It was a really impressive performance, which is why I had to get him on the radio!

Cosby's rant was pretty harsh stuff - he made fun of poor black people for their speech, their dress, their unusual names, their criminal proclivities, etc.

Doug