[lbo-talk] Expropriate the Expropriators vs. Expropriate the Expropriated

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 25 09:53:31 PDT 2005

>>what if eminent domain is employed by a democratically-controlled
>>state? for example, I'm sure that the Paris Commune used its power
>>to take some private property.
>
>I would be uncomfortable if some anarchist group decided it could
>demolish somebody's home in the community. I think our goal should
>be to *work things out* so that an equitable arrangement is found
>between parties.
>
>Chuck

There is nothing in common between the Paris Commune and Kelo v. City of New London. It's one thing to expropriate the expropriators (e.g., socializing the means of production), and it's completely another thing to expropriate the expropriated (e.g., taking homes away from working-class homeowners and giving their lands to private developers). -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Monthly Review: <http://monthlyreview.org/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>