[lbo-talk] Stamper- Seattle WTO police chief

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 25 15:06:18 PDT 2005

On Saturday, June 25, 2005 2:12 PM [PDT], Celi Ben <cpthron at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think these are really interesting, and there are some interesting
> quotes here. Norm Stamper came out with a particularly progressive
> book about policework, where he advocates legalizing all drugs, and
> advocates community policing, but throughout the book and this
> interview, he is doing things like discussing the propensity for
> police to commit domestic violence or become violent people by using
> himself as an example, and mentions shooting an unarmed person,
> choking someone etc. Without having read his book, he is making a lot
> of sense, but he makes some statements regarding WTO=Seattle that
> don't match what those of us who were there saw - I would say having
> been there the first day but having returned to work on Wednesday,
> such as protesters carrying in their own gas weapons rather than just
> throwing back cannisters. The mayor did make him become the scapegoat
> for what should have been obvious to anyone in the city the preceding
> week.
>
> http://www.alternet.org/story/22196/

I was visiting my dad a few years before the WTO-Seattle. While dad and I were having a hearttoheart, my ex went downtown to do some site-seeing.

When she came back I was informed that I *had* to see this "thing" that was happening in one of the parks. When we showed up the next day, there was a free meal in progress and uniformed Seattle PD were doing the feeding.

I like to compare that to the more confrontational hostile attitude taken by other PDs around around the country, including Santa Cruz, and have always thought that the Seattle Police would get a very different reaction from the poor & homeless when there was a problem on the "street".

It was a shame about the WTO action making a bit of a mess around Seattle, but as I believe Hillel(?) would have said... Why Seattle? because it is there.

What Tac squads and all that do when there are major demonstrations, and the normal interactions with the community... no matter how weird the locals, can be two very different things.

Leigh http://www.leighm.net

-- Zero Surprises: No virus found in this outgoing message // lcm Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.1/28 - Release Date: 6/24/2005