[lbo-talk] SFBG on KPFA

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 25 21:37:44 PDT 2005

"It's too bad that the station, which could be pouring its personnel and resources into covering these new Middle Ages, seems bent on self-destruction.:

AC Thompson should know that KPFA (Pacifica) has for all the 50 years of its existence seemed bent on self-destruction (in some cases even achieving this goal: Lew Hill, its founder, committed suicide - in part - allegedly - because of the acrimony) and has lurched from one (if not several) internal battle(s) to the next - even while pouring its personell and resources - as well as many uncompensated people pouring their blood and guts into the station - and still cover the old and new Middle Ages.

In other words, Pacifica (unfortunately) thrives on acrimony and paradoxically this is simultaneously its achilles heel and its strength.

I would also like to point out that AC Thompson is factually inaccurate (among many inaccuracies and distortions) when he says that "KPFA financial reports show that the station is planning to spend at least $60,000 of its $2.2 million annual budget on its elected, 24-member Local Station Board." This money is a budget projection for what the next LSB elections might cost - not money for the LSB limo service or whatever else such money can be spent on - indeed, we (the LSB) barely have any money to do anything. These are not monies to be spent *on* the LSB itself. Further, I personally do not think the station needs to spend this kind of money on elections, most of which will go to pay an election coordinator to do work that can, and has in the past been done by volunteers.

I am surprised at the shallowness and lack of nuance in AC Thompson article. he certainly seems to have forgotten some recent Pacifica history and the article he has written this week stands in sharp contrast to this article he wrote in 1999 see: http://www.radio4all.org/fp/radio.html

stay tuned for my letter to the editor.

Joe W.