[lbo-talk] happy Stonewall

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 12:09:57 PDT 2005

On Monday, June 27, 2005 11:45 AM [PDT], Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> At 8:46 PM -0600 6/26/05, Thomas Allen Heald wrote:
>
>> The Pridelets Files for June 27
>> On this day in 1969, nine plainclothes policeman enter the
>> Stonewall Inn at 53 Christopher Street intending to shut down the
>> bar for operating without a liquor license. They arrest a bartender,
>> doorman, and three transvestites and then try to leave. The key word
>> here being "try." An angered crowd begins throwing bricks, bottles
>> and even coins at the officers who retreat into the Stonewall. The
>> mob breaks down the door, screaming "PIGS!" and "FAGGOT COPS!" One
>> terrified officer tells them "We'll shoot the first motherfucker
>> that comes through." Protesters then try and set the bar ablaze,
>> while the cops bash one protester in the head a dozen times. Things
>> finally calm down after about forty-five minutes, but the gay rights
>> movement will never be the same.

I watched as a couple of guys got to rocking a parking meter back and forth until it came up with it's concrete "plug" still attached. They proceeded to run it through an empty police car's windshield.

One of the defining moments of my teenage years, along with the Great Squirrel Riot, Washington Square Park, Summer '68.

Leigh http://www.leighm.net

-- Zero Surprises: No virus found in this outgoing message // lcm Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.2/29 - Release Date: 6/27/2005