[lbo-talk] anarchism & the state (was: When is private property NOT?)

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 13:44:50 PDT 2005

Gar: >Also marxism at least claims to share the anarchist goal of eliminating the state in the long run - "withering away of the state" etc.<

yeah. The Marxist tradition is that we must first conquer the state and use it to defend the revolution -- and of course implement democratic decisions -- and later it will wither away if the revolution is successfully defended and the state is truly democratic. The anarchists seem to want it to wither first.

>On the question of eminent domain Sam Smith passed along a
suggestion from a reader that I think is an excellent one; uses of eminent domain should require voter approval rather than just be decided by the politicians. That would stop giveaways to Walmart without stoping legitimate public use.<

excellent. JD -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20050627/69d030a8/attachment.htm>