[lbo-talk] anarchism & the state (was: When is private property ...)

Richard Harris rhh1 at clara.co.uk
Mon Jun 27 17:42:48 PDT 2005

"The Marxist tradition is that we must first conquer the state and use it to defend the revolution ..."

As far as I'm aware, Marx only ever referred to smashing the state, never to the setting up of a 'workers' state' - see The Civil War in France and Critical Notes on the Article "The King of Prussia and Social Reform. By a Prussian"

These were written years apart but offer the same account of the state.

As far as I know, Lenin popularised the notion of a workers' state in State and Revolution. In my view, in so doing he shows us that he never escaped from the influence of the Pope of Marxism, Kautsky, whose goal was a workers' state.

Am I wrong?

Richard Canterbury, Kent.