[lbo-talk] When is private property NOT?

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Jun 28 07:12:16 PDT 2005

But at some level what difference does it make? If you grab land for a publicly-owned football stadium that profits a private team, why should that have more legal sanction that land handed over to a private developer who signs a contract to create 500 living wage jobs and build 300 affordable housing units?

"Public purpose" is inherently a political judgement, not a simple question of who ends of owning the land at the end of the day. My core position is that I don't think courts should be making those political judgements, so that's why Kelo was properly decided.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Brown" <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 9:35 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] When is private property NOT?