[lbo-talk] anarchism & the state (was: When is private property NOT?)

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Jun 28 08:03:00 PDT 2005

Gar Lipow

>>>On the question of eminent domain Sam Smith passed along a
suggestion from a reader that I think is an excellent one; uses of eminent domain should require voter approval rather than just be decided by the politicians. That would stop giveaways to Walmart without stoping legitimate public use.<<<

^^^^ CB: I agree with this direction.

Despite the problems California and other places' histories with ballot proposals, referenda and recalls abused by the powers-that- be, these are still the most directly democratic forms in the bourgeois political system , areas for electoral activity by leftists. To require a vote of the People for eminient domain would be a very good expansion of the electoral system. (I don't mean that we anywhere near winning this from the bourgeoisie, nor does the Supreme Court decision under discussion get nearer to this.)

These campaigns force us to organize large numbers of working class people to sign the petitions to get the issues on the ballot, and to turn out voters ( if there is to be success). It requires meeting masses of people face-to-face, real practice, hard practice. This is a basis for non-personality cult/popularity contest political activism (except for recall) .

Justin rightly details many shortcomings, but overall, the shortcomings are not greater than election of politricksters under the republican principle of representative government.