[lbo-talk] KPFA's Hidden History

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 08:55:07 PDT 2005

I don't think so - or rather, I do not know. I think that like many people at that time he may not even have been aware that the Paris Review was funded by the agency and like many people, it appears that he was caught up in the delicate dance of trying to be an independent (albeit left) intellectual who was independent of both Washington and the Kremlin at a time when there was little wiggle room.

I also imagine that he is/was haunted by the impact of the CIA on his work, and is maybe hyperconscious of it. I don't know that it influenced his political tendency overall.

I still don't understand what motivated him to trash Blum's book - there may have been good reasons to criticize the book, but he does not seem to have zeroed in on them.

I also don't understand other positions he has taken over the years. I have a grudging admiration for the man, and I learned a lot from him when I was a mere listener. On closer inspection, as with many other people at the station who I admired from a distance, he was not as attractive.

It is hard for me as an under-40 to sit in judgement of the tough choices that people had to make in the 60s and early 70s. I think the Paris Review/CIA thing has to be seen in a wider context. This review article, which you may have already seen, sheds futher light on the significant scope of CIA covert funding.

http://chronicle.com/free/v46/i30/30a01901.htm

Indeed. The Hudson Review, The Sewanee Review, Poetry, Daedalus, and The Kenyon Review all benefited from a C.I.A.-backed program to boost the sales of the right sort of publication. The Kenyon Review was edited by C.I.A. agent Robie Macauley; The Paris Review was cofounded by then-C.I.A. employee Peter Matthiessen.

Joe W.