[lbo-talk] Randians: don't apologize to Indians!

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 11:22:19 PDT 2005

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>[these things read like self-parody]

[They sure do, but Randians aren't any wackier than cruise-missile liberals.

I thought the following lead from a piece in the current NY Review of Books was a real collector's item. Btw, I didn't bother to read the whole thing.]

The New World Order

By Tony Judt

Those of us who opposed America's invasion of Iraq from the outset can take no comfort from its catastrophic consequences. On the contrary: we should now be asking ourselves some decidedly uncomfortable questions. The first concerns the propriety of "preventive" military intervention. If the Iraq war is wrong—"the wrong war at the wrong time"—why, then, was the 1999 US-led war on Serbia right? That war, after all, also lacked the imprimatur of UN Security Council approval. It too was an unauthorized and uninvited attack on a sovereign state—undertaken on "preventive" grounds—that caused many civilian casualties and aroused bitter resentment against the Americans who carried it out. ...

<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/18113>

Carl