[lbo-talk] Re: stonewall history

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Tue Jun 28 12:03:15 PDT 2005

>"The Stonewall had been there forever, just like the $ sign (dykes) down on Houston.
>The police had never messed with them before, at least that I'd heard of."

first part, true... but... the police had raided, or at east harassed the joint pretty regularly, from the gossip i heard at the old Lion's Head next door ( a really nice old bar-restaurant that has passed from the scene ), and from what i saw on at least one occasion myself...cop cars in front, sirens, gay guys coming out looking scared, etc.

so when they fought back on that historic night, it was really something...

also provoked quiet a few heated arguments among the younger villagers and the older, far more conservative artsy types who were not-so-liberal when it came to drags and queens flaunting their biz on the street...educational, for me, at that time...

fs