[lbo-talk] When is private property NOT?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 12:47:31 PDT 2005

Doug, it's not like that _at all_. Anti-aff action is inherently a bad position in a racist society. There is _nothing_ good to be said in favor of opposing AA. But eminent domain is much more mixed. Certainly there are disaster cases like Poletown or urban renewal (formerly called Negro removal by civil rights activists). But most ED csaes are like my pipeline case, routine economic development stuff that harms no one. And other cases are more ambigious, like the expansion of O'Hare.

Furthermore, rejecting ED because of the bad cases is like rejecting equal protection because the right uses to argue vs. aff action, or voting because we have a corrupt electotal system. Here we have a good, in fact a great principle from our pov -- property is not an inherent right -- written into our common and constitutional law: properrty rights are subject to the sovereign will and their grant must benefit the public. Against this is the principle that private property is sacred. Is it hard for leftists to decide which is best for us?

We can of course oppose bad takings (like Poletown) -- but not on the grounds that takings are bad in general, but that this one fails to serve the public interest.

I also don't see what's wrong with Justice Stevens saying that the legislature of the agencies are the bodies best equipped to determine whether the expected benefits will accrue. I've worked on the judicial side of this, I don't think judges are in general qualified to make that judgment.

jks