[lbo-talk] HealthSouth

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 19:49:45 PDT 2005

Not bloody likely on either count. The US Attorney's Office is staffed with top-flight lawyers, Supreme Court clerks, emigres from the big law firms. And they fight to kill, they don't prosecute unless they think they can get a conviction, which they actually do about 98% of the time. They like bringing down big birds, nothing pleases them more than jailing a corrupt politician or big time capitalist crook.

I knows this from intimate first hand experience with the USA's Office in Chicago, and similar reports from NY and DC. (I wasn't an ASUA but I saw a zillion cases tried by them, know lots of AUSAs, and now that I'm a defense lawyer I see how they operate.)

Therefore, it was a case of bad luck or insufficient evidence. OJ wsa obviously guilty too, but the evidence was not beyond a reasonable doubt. (That was a state case, but the point is that "obviously guilty" isn't the standard for conviction. It's "beyond a reasonable doubt." I don't knwo the evidence in this case, but that is supposed to be a high standard. If you can afford good lawyers, you can make ita high standard,

jks