[lbo-talk] When is private property NOT?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 11:11:46 PDT 2005

Really, they just kicked it back to the legislature to decide. OK, legislatures in capitalist societies are capitalist tools. Judges aren't? Some aren't, but elected judges are, mostly, and the federal judges are increasingly Reagan/Bush I&II appointees. And even the ones who aren't tools are not mostly especially qualified to make complex economic determinations about whether expected benefits will accrue.

As a former law clerk, I know how that determination would work. Someone like me, but probably 26 years old and straight out of law school, would write a memo for the judge. If the judge was a right wing Econ & Law type, the judge would likely come up with a theoretical justification for the project bearing no relation to empirical reality. If the judge wasa holdholder liberal without economic experitise, who knows how she'd decide and on what basis? So I don't think that putting judicial barriers to ED of the sort rejected in Kelo would be a very good idea.

The bodies that are competent to determine whether expected benefits will accruse are economic developing agencies with the expertise and resources to do the research and the analysis. And that's the truth. Sorry if that doesn't sound very revolutionary.

jks