[lbo-talk] HealthSouth

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 29 13:27:15 PDT 2005

[I'm not convinced. OJ got off because the LAPD tried to railroad an obviously guilty man. The jury quite rightly distrusted the tainted evidence. But the government had the goods on Scrushy. The following is from the FT's account. --CGE]

...Jurors appeared to have accepted the defence argument that the fraud was committed in HealthSouth's finance department without Mr Scrushy's knowledge - even though five chief financial officers, who had all admitted fraud, testified that Mr Scrushy was involved.

...Legal experts had considered the case against Mr Scrushy to be stronger than the one against Bernie Ebbers, the founder of WorldCom, who was found guilty of fraud in New York in March.

...Prosecutors had alleged that Mr Scrushy ordered at least $2.7bn (£1.5bn) of fake profits and assets to be added to HealthSouth's accounts from 1996 to 2002 to help the company meet Wall Street earnings targets.

They said he collected more than $200m from the sale of HealthSouth shares at artificially inflated prices, funding his extravagant lifestyle of mansions, yachts and classic cars.

...Conversations secretly recorded by the FBI in which Mr Scrushy sounded aware of the fraud proved inconclusive and defence lawyers repeatedly chided the prosecution for failing to present a single document that proved his guilt...