[lbo-talk] Ward Churchill strikes again

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 07:45:09 PDT 2005

At least ChuckO's pal, Kevin http://www.pirateballerina.com/files/WorldNetDaily%20Ward%20Churchill%20backs%20fragging_files/april03WBlarge.jpg Keating doesn't back down from his advocacy of fragging.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2831958 (the paper today has the full text, somehow the webmaster at the Post fucked up, I've e-mailed them)

http://www.pirateballerina.com/files/WorldNetDaily_Ward_Churchill_backs_fragging.htm University of Colorado professor Ward Churchill suggested to a forum on conscientious objection they might be more effective in opposing war if they supported the "fragging" or killing of line officers.

In a Portland meeting on resistance to military recruiting, Churchill, famous for comparing Sept. 11, 2001, victims in the World Trade Center to "little Eichmanns," twice suggested anti-war activists should support those who kill their officers. "For those of you who do, as a matter of principle, oppose war in any form, the idea of supporting a conscientious objector who's already been inducted [and] in his combat service in Iraq might have a certain appeal," he said. "But let me ask you this: Would you render the same support to someone who hadn't conscientiously objected, but rather instead rolled a grenade under their line officer in order to neutralize the combat capacity of their unit?"

Later, in a question-and-answer period, Churchill was asked whether the trauma "fragging" inflicts on that officer's family back home should be considered, he responded: "How do you feel about Adolf Eichmann's family?" Earlier, Churchill blamed the five-month-old controversy over his post-Sept. 11 essay on a faulty grammar-checker.

He did not intend to suggest the 9-11 victims were "little Eichmanns" he claims now. Instead, he blamed the grammar checker for changing what he says he actually wrote: "little Entenmanns" -- referring to the brand of pastries.

"My metaphorical use of food in the essay is, of course, complex to the layman, but surely you've all heard the expression 'as American as apple pie,'" he said. "Well, I'd meant to relate the 'Americanness' and 'lovability' of those poor people who died on 9-11 to the well-known popularity of Entenmann's glazed donuts."

(Homer Simpson: "Yum, Entenmann's glazed donuts!" http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/episodeguide/season5/1f04.shtml http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/episodeguide/season5/1f04.jpg

First up is The Devil And Homer Simpson. Homer is out of donuts at work, so he sells his soul to the Devil, who turns out to be Ned Flanders. Homer saves the last bite of the donut so that Flanders does not get his soul, however, he eats it the next night during a sleepwalk.)

http://www.pirateballerina.com/index.php http://www.pirateballerina.com/blog/tb.php?tb_id=160 Another excerpt from Churchill's Portland Speech Friday Churchill's target demographic speaks, like, truth to, like, power

Questioner (1:46:21): so, I guess, I guess, yeah, uh, I guess what I was tryin' to say is that it seems to me like a lot of the times, like, a community will support more militant aspects of that community, like, the organizing that goes into a community, like, then will, like, I dunno, I don't know if it creates but, like, militancy comes out of a community not out of, like, just complete nothingness, and uh--

Churchill: Well it didn't come out of nothingness, that's a fact. All right.

Questioner: What? Say again?

-- Michael Pugliese