[lbo-talk] Ever more opportunities....

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 30 17:10:50 PDT 2005

> joanna:
>
> > Bountiful, 30, who sold her unusual advertising space on eBay, said
> > the money will give her 11-year-old son a private education, which
> > she believes he needs after falling behind in school.
> > "For the all the sacrifices everyone makes, this is a very small
> > one," she said. "It's a small sacrifice to build a better future for
> > my son," she said.

> Ya wouldn't suppose that people that are dumb enough to have an
> advertisement tattoo'd on their foreheads have dumb kids too....
>
> Just a passing, albeit fanciful thought.
>
> Leigh
> http://www.leighm.net

Dumb? This woman is desperate, not dumb. I don't necessarily feel sorry for her but I feel terrible that the conditions exist that make this seem attractive to anyone. I guess if you think the poor are poor because they are dumb the above sentiment makes sense but I don't believe that. In a way your sentiment would make her doubly dumb. First, for getting the tattoo and second, for thinking her son can escape his inherent dumbness. I also don't see this as an "enterprising" way of earning money made possible by the wonders of the free market.

John Thornton