[lbo-talk] A Very Long Engagement

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 1 13:09:15 PST 2005

See the discussion of deserters and AWOLs in the current New Yorker. Volunteers, apparently, were more apt to desert than draftees. (The author speculates that volunteers come in with rosier expectations than draftees.)

Incidentally, I believe the desertion rate was higher during WW2 than in the Vietnam War. The one (Navy) deserter who I happened to help (I think the statute of limitations has run out) wasn't a war resister but merely wanted to be unmolested and listen to his Top 40 records. A few years later he returned from Sweden and I also helped him turn himself in.

Carrol