[lbo-talk] A Very Long Engagement

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 1 15:55:38 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> I'm guessing, though, that not too many grunts in WW2 did drugs and
> shot their commanding officers.

I an not aware of any dependable studies. (Though you might check Fussell's book on WW2.) But I knew one person who had been an infantryman in France. His company had become dissatisfied with the performance of the Company Commander; they calculated when he would be just around the corner of a stone house, blew the corner off with a bazooka, wounding the captain. They got a competent commander; he got out of further combat. A bit different from fraggings in Vietnam however.

Why did you quote just one (and the least central) passage of Yoshie's post to inquire as to the point? Single paragraphs of substantive historical texts seldom have a point out of context. Partly she was merely providing detail for my speculation that desertions occurred in all wars and that we had to be careful in ascribing too much specific weight to mere desertion statistics. You object to care in using statistics?

Carrol