[lbo-talk] NY Times turning pro-war

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 08:16:10 PST 2005

[The Guardian, too, now sports late-blooming support for the Iraq war. I just emailed Jonathan Freedland that his column (below) is "the most demented piece of journalism I have read in some time."]

Comment

The war's silver lining

We need to face up to the fact that the Iraq invasion has intensified pressure for democracy in the Middle East

Jonathan Freedland Wednesday March 2, 2005 The Guardian

Tony Blair is not gloating ... But if he had wanted to brag and claim credit - boasting that the toppling of Saddam Hussein had set off a benign chain reaction - he would have had plenty of evidence to call on.

.... it cannot be escaped: the US-led invasion of Iraq has changed the calculus in the region. ... This leaves opponents of the Iraq war in a tricky position, even if the PM is not about to rub our faces in the fact. Not only did we set our face against a military adventure which seems, even if indirectly, to have triggered a series of potentially welcome side effects; we also stood against the wider world-view that George Bush represented. What should we say now?

First, we ought to admit that the dark cloud of the Iraq war may have carried a silver lining. We can still argue that the war was wrong-headed, illegal, deceitful and too costly of human lives - and that its most important gain, the removal of Saddam, could have been achieved by other means. But we should be big enough to concede that it could yet have at least one good outcome. ...

freedland at guardian.co.uk

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1428372,00.html>

Carl