[lbo-talk] women on top?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 2 15:56:04 PST 2005

>Chronicle of Higher Education - web daily - February 28, 2005
>
>Women Increase Their Lead Over Men in Bevy of Undergraduate
>Statistics, Report Says
<snip>
>For example, while women made up 56 percent of all undergraduates in
>2001 (up from 42 percent in 1970), women accounted for 63 percent of
>black students, 62 percent of students over the age of 39, and 70
>percent of single-parent students.
>
>In terms of academic preparedness, the report says, the number of
>women who took high-school courses of a high "academic intensity"
>lagged behind men as recently as the 1980s. By the 1990s the gap had
>closed.
>
>That degree of preparedness paid off. Until the early 1990s a higher
>proportion of men than women in their late 20s possessed bachelor's
>degrees. Around 1991 or 1992, however, more women than men held
>degrees in that age group, and the gender gap has only widened since
>then. In 2003 women led men, 31 percent to 26 percent, in this
>category.
>
>The full text of the report, "Gender Differences in Participation
>and Completion of Undergraduate Education and How They Have Changed
>Over Time," is available at the center's Web site
><http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2005169>.

Class

The National Center for Education Statistics says: "Between 1989-90 and 1999-2000, the percentage of high-income students who were women increased (from 51 percent to 53 percent; table 2). No difference was detected in the percentage of low-income students who were women in each survey year. Nonetheless, in 1999-2000, women were still overrepresented among low-income students (60 percent were women) and underrepresented among high-income students (53 percent) when compared with all students (56 percent). (Katharin Peter and Laura Horn, "Gender Differences in Participation and Completion of Undergraduate Education and How They Have Changed Over Time," <http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2005169>, February 2005, p. 15). "Low-income levels represent those whose family income did not exceed 125 percent of the established poverty level. The remaining levels [of middle-low-income, middle-high-income, and high-income] are evenly distributed above the low-income group. The source of income for dependent students is their parents or guardians; the source for independent students is their own earnings and assets" (Peter and Horn, p. 49).

Race

In 1999-2000, women made up a greater percentage of Black students than they did among White, Hispanic, and Asian/Pacific Islander students (64 percent vs. 56, 56, and 51 percent, respectively). In fact, when compared with all 1999-2000 undergraduates, a greater percentage of Black students were women by almost 8 percentage points (56 percent of all undergraduates were women vs. 64 percent of Black students). As was shown in table 1, in 2000-01, Black women also earned a greater percentage of the degrees awarded than their male counterparts. (Peter and Horn, p. 16)</blockquote>

A reasonable hypothesis, then, is that the gender gap has widened between 1989-90 and 1999-2000 because of continuing stratified expansion of post-secondary education, enrolling more low-income students among whom the gender gap is the most pronounced, and increases in enrollment and degree acquisition among high-income women who have caught up with and finally surpassed men of their strata.

Coinciding with the rise in Black and Hispanic student enrollment in the 6-year period between cohorts was an increase in the proportion of low-income students. The percentage of low-income students increased from 13 to 16 percent overall for dependent students.4 This increase held for dependent students who began in public 4-year institutions (from 10 to 15 percent) and private for-profit institutions (from 21 to 35 percent) (table 1). (Laura Horn and Rachel Berger, "College Persistence on the Rise? Changes in 5-Year Degree Completion and Postsecondary Persistence Rates Between 1994 and 2000" <http://nces.ed.gov/das/epubs/2005156/persistence1.asp>, November 2005)</blockquote>

It is possible that the education system does discriminate more against working-class men -- especially working-class men of color -- than working-class women of all races. Probably, working-class boys are more boisterous than working-class girls, and teachers and principals are likely to find working-class boys more threatening than working-class girls. Working-class boys get more often penalized by teachers and principals than working-class girls are. E.g.,

There may be a gender difference in attitudes also. E.g., Boys look at busywork at school and say, "Crap! Who can take this seriously? Not me!" Girls look at busywork at school and say, "Crap! But you gotta do what you gotta do to graduate and go to college. I'll just get it done and get the hell out of here!"

What's up with working-class men, especially working-class men of color, who are unable to attend college? They found moer jobs during the neoliberal boomlet in the 1990s than in the 1980s or got pushed into the informal sector or got sucked in the criminal justice system or signed up for the military.

Still and all, the gender gap in salary -- in favor of men rather than women -- persists in many fields:

In some fields, gender disparities in annual salaries were evident in the later cohort that were not observed earlier. In 2001, men with bachelor's degrees in fields comprising humanities and social/behavioral sciences, health fields, vocational/technical fields, and other technical/professional fields earned higher full-time salaries than women in the same fields.

These differences were not detected in the 1994 cohort. Although it appears that men in the first cohort with bachelor's degrees in health fields, vocational/technical fields, and other technical/professional fields earned higher average salaries than their female counterparts, the apparent difference was not statistically significant. In business/management fields it also appears that men earned higher average annual salaries than women, but the difference was only statistically significant in 1994. Still, 34 percent of men with a business degree were earning $45,000 or more in 2001, compared with 24 percent of their female peers. Although it appears that men in the first cohort with bachelor's degrees in education earned higher average salaries than their female counterparts, the apparent difference was not statistically significant. For both years, no gender difference was detected in the average annual salary of graduates with a degree in education. (Peter and Horn, pp. 38, 40-41)</blockquote> -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>