[lbo-talk] U.S. working class: functionally literate

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Mar 3 09:30:52 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Two observations about cognitive and communicative abilities of the students
>are in order:
>(i) foreign born students were admittedly better qualified to teach math and
>science than native students; and

The way I heard it when I was dating guys in the Ph.D. program in electrical engineering at Berkeley was that there were very few American applicants to the Ph.D. program because a Ph.D. made very little difference to earning potential after graduation. So the Americans went into the labor market right after the B.S. or the M.S, and the spots in grad school were wide open for the foreigners.

>(ii) native born college students had problems understanding somebody
>speaking their own language with an accent; one might expect that of an
>uneducated burger flipper, but college students are supposed to have
>superior cognitive and communicative abilities, at least according to the
>official standards of admission.

Wait a second, I make my living working with foreign-born engineers (mostly from China and India). They are hard to understand, and it's not because I'm stupid or badly educated. For example, it's almost impossible to understand over the phone. But even in person, it's very hard because I am trying to do two things at once: grok the technical content of their communication and understand the words. This puts me in an identical position to an undergraduate. The problem with Indian speakers is that they speak much more rapidly than English speakers and the cadence of the speech is very different. The accent itself is beautiful. The problem with Chinese speakers is a certain "mushiness" of some sounds and a different intonation. When you're trying to understand calculus, physics, overloaded operators, transport protocols, etc., it's hard, hard, hard.

Joanna