[lbo-talk] Anti-war movement not a nothing

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Mar 3 10:17:28 PST 2005

For Immediate Release

Media Advisory

Event: Demonstration to Stop the War!

& Bring the Troops Home Now!

Friday, March 18, 4:30 p.m., Gather, Picket

"Spirit of Detroit" Woodward at Jefferson

Mass March at 5:30 to Central United Methodist

Rally at 6:30, Featuring Camilo Mejia, War Resister

Contact: URL: http://www.mecawi <http://www.mecawi/>

E-mail: voiceofmecawi at comcast.net

Telephone: (313) 680-5508

March 18 Detroit March Against War: Money for Our City, Not for War; Stop the Cutbacks, Stop the Layoffs, Keep 24hr. Bus Service

In 2004, $429 million of Detroit's taxes went for the Iraq war. That's twice the city's "budget deficit." We need that money right here for expanded bus service, smaller class sizes in our schools, more recreation programs for our youth as well as increased and improved city services.

Bush's new budget cuts 150 important programs for the poor and increases the Pentagon's budget by 5%. Only the people organized and mobilized can reverse the destruction of the cities and cancel the blank check for permanent war against the peoples of the world.

Come out on March 18 to commemorate the second anniversary of the United States invasion and occupation of Iraq. This war, which is based on lies and deception, has resulted in the deaths of over 100,000 Iraqis, 1,500 American troops officially reported killed, 27,000 GIs wounded and injured, another 100,000 inflicted with the long term effects of post traumatic stress disorder, the destruction of Iraqi cities and villages as well as the intensification of hatred against the American government throughout the world.

In the city of Detroit we are drawing the link between the declining living conditions, rising unemployment and the collapse of the municipal infrastructure with the ongoing misdirected national priorities advanced by the Bush administration which is plunging the country into deeper social and economic crises.

The peace and social justice community is asking for the public to join us on Friday, March 18 to make our voices heard. We will gather in front of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center at the "Spirit of Detroit" statue located on Woodward Avenue at Jefferson, downtown. The crowd will picket and rally demanding a reversal of the drastic cutbacks in city services. At 5:30 p.m. we will march down Woodward to the Central United Methodist Church for a mass rally beginning at 6:30 featuring war resister Camilo Mejia, who was just released from a military prison for refusing to return to Iraq and continue to fight an unjust war against the people of that nation.

What Can You Do?

People who are interested in assisting us build for this historic demonstration, which will coincide with protests throughout the United States and the world during the weekend of March 18-20, can do the following:

Log on to the Michigan Emergency Committee Against War & Injustice (MECAWI) web site and download the leaflet URL: http://www.mecawi <http://www.mecawi/>

If you need copies of flyers and posters we can mail or deliver them to you. Just call (313) 680-5508

Anyone who can donate funds to cover the costs of this event can contact us at (313) 680-5508

This event is sponsored by a broad coalition of organizations in the Detroit Metropolitan area which includes: The Central United Methodist Church; the Michigan Emergency Committee Against War & Injustice (MECAWI); Pointes for Peace; and the Detroit Area Peace & Justice Network (DAPJN).

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Distributed By: THE PAN-AFRICAN RESEARCH AND DOCUMENTATION CENTER

50 SCB BOX 47, WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY

DETROIT, MI 48202-- E MAIL: ac6123 at wayne.edu ====================================================================== ********* Related Web Sites ************** http://mecawi.org <http://mecawi.org/> http://world-newspapers.com/africa.html <http://world-newspapers.com/africa.html> http://www.africadaily.com <http://www.africadaily.com/> http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage <http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage> http://www.freemumia.org <http://www.freemumia.org/> http://www.herald.co.zw/ <http://www.herald.co.zw/> http://www.anc.org.za/index.html <http://www.anc.org.za/index.html> http://www.caribbeannewspapers.com <http://www.caribbeannewspapers.com/> http://www.wbai.org <http://www.wbai.org/> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------ BRC-DETROIT: Black Radical Congress - Detroit, Michigan