[lbo-talk] U.S. working class: functionally literate

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Thu Mar 3 16:32:33 PST 2005

On Mar 3, 2005, at 10:56 AM, joanna bujes wrote:

> I disagree. In general people want to do the best they can and they
> take pride in "knowing" and gratification in being able to help. One
> obvious difference between older and younger workers is that younger
> workers are less experienced and therefore know less. Twenty years
> from now these younger workers will be more knowledgeable and more
> helpful.

Not necessarily. The experience of the older retail workers in hardware (Home Depot, Lowes) came in the building trades which were themselves dumbed down via modular construction techniques, thus displacing the skilled worker, sending them to retail sales. The younger retail workers will never have that experience.

Martin