[lbo-talk] Re: U.S. working class functionally literate

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Mar 3 18:52:44 PST 2005

Chuck Grimes wrote:

>Same goes the other way around for the older crew and computers. Never
>built one from found junk, didn't gerry-rig their phone, patch into a
>cable system, or swap out memory and motherboard upgrades. Don't know
>shit, cause they never played with the stuff. And the same
>commodifying trend is accelerated in computers.

Chuck could tell long and embarrasing stories how, despite the fact that I've written dozens of books on computer programming over the last twenty years, I quake in my boots at the very thought of reconfiguring my computer, switching ISPs, hooking up a printer, installing an application, unzipping a file, etc. "Hardware challenged" would be the polite turn of the phrase. "Software challenged" too, come to think of it.

Joanna