[lbo-talk] U.S. working class: functionally literate

louis kontos louis.kontos at liu.edu
Fri Mar 4 00:18:04 PST 2005

i don't think this generation has gone to the dogs. rather, i look at kids in my classes and think they're being ripped off since they're getting a lousier education than i did (me with a working class background similar to yours, though it seems you have a few years on me). they need a ton of 'education' for even lousy jobs. and they accumulate tons of debt for the privilege of being semi-educated. i've taught at seven colleges and universities, therefore seen differences, but can't say the system is working well anywhere (at least not according to its self-advertisement). to be sure, it only ever worked well for the already-privileged. still, it's hard not to see that as more people are receiving a formal secondary education, the colleges and universities are becoming more like factories.