[lbo-talk] Auschwitz/Oswiecim/Oshpitsin

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 13:21:03 PST 2005

Yes, just as the famous (in Eastern European Jewish culture) "Wise Men of Chelm" -- supposed sages who were gently mocked as fools in children's stories, along with their foolish townsfolk, all disappeared up the chimneys as Chelmo, one of the four genuine Nazi extermination camps dedicated to no other purpose. (Treblinka -- destroyed by inmates in a revolt; Sobibor -- site of a famous mass escape, Maidenek, and Chelmno.) Auschwitz-Birkenau was a slave labor camp also, and in fact mainly.

Our babysitter, I am sure, probably just said Auschwitz because of pronunciation or familiarity. But she certainly was abashed. Sweet kid, Magda.

jks

<http://www.auschwitz-muzeum.oswiecim.pl/html/eng/start/index.php>).