[lbo-talk] Banking Model of Education (Re; Japanese students can't place N.Korea)

louis kontos louis.kontos at liu.edu
Sat Mar 5 17:48:35 PST 2005

I don't support the idea of more testing anywhere, since too many courses at all levels are already designed around tests and nothing else. I never use the language of 'standards' unless tied to specific programs, policies, etc., because there is no such thing as a neutral context for a discussion of anything called standards -- also, it lends itself to too much confusion, since the right has effectively co-opted the term. same with terms like 'classics', 'the canon', etc. But I do think that its perverse that people should have to sit in school for 12 or 14 years for jobs in which their education proves irrelevant (e.g. where they can be 'trained' in a few weeks to do whatever the job requires). Most of the students I've encountered tend to agree. When I ask in my classes, for instance, how many would be at a university if they could start a job now at 30k plus benefits plus some assurance that they would be able to keep that job for ten years (i.e., the same bad scenario available to most of us decades ago), usually more than half say they would take the job over the education. University administrators seem to understand this dilemma, i.e., that most of their students would rather be elsewhere, which is why they make decisions in anticipation of higher enrollments during the onset of economic recession, i.e., when more workers become students. If education were free (or close to it) and if the ordinary student (not the privileged few, for whom the situation remains unchanged over decades of education reform polemics and policy initiatives), I would be able to celebrate the fact that more of us are now 'educated'. As for Freire, most high school teachers and university professors that I've spoken with don't seem to know him. Students in the dept. of education at my university read 'about' him (also they read 'about' Dewey, James, and other less controversial figures). In other words, they're not even given original sources and not taught much of anything besides making lesson plans (the university now has its equivalent -- format designed by publishing companies -- for every undergraduate course). Yet they all seem to know cliches about methods -- 'dialogical', 'student centered', 'experienced based', etc. -- and know how to apply them to describe and justify what they do; namely, a lot of nothing. It seems to me that there was a unique moment in the history of this country, after WWII, when ordinary people had access to the kind of education previously reserved for the privileged few, brought real demands to the table, and forced reach change, became of force of democratization. It's not a coincidence that, according to public opinion surveys, Americans were most informed about social issues in the 60s (the tipping point was 1967). Now the average 'educated' American knows so little about the world around him/her that a better discussion of history, politics, economics etc. can be had with a teenager in Palestine, or Germany, or Nicaragua. Freire was right, in my view, to assert as a goal of education the ability (and right) to 'name the world'. Why now (and why here) all the apologetics over a dismal situation?