[lbo-talk] The Dollar and the American Language

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sat Mar 5 22:39:00 PST 2005

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> What sources have you used to arrive at the outlays of "8-10% of US
> GDP for nearly 40 years"?

I'm referring to 1945-85. The numbers: "The US Peace Dividend", Table A1, pp 55-56, Chapter 3: Macroeconomic Impacts of Disarmament and the Peace Dividend in the US Economy. Robert M. Coen and Bert G. Hickman. Crunch the numbers, and military spending averaged the following per decade:

1940s 18.4% 1950s 10.2% 1960s 8.5% 1970s 5.8%

> proportion of the imperial outlays that ever went into academic think
> tanks and area studies programs? I'd think that's obviously
> minuscule compared to military spending.

The GI bill paved the way for the mass university, and Pentagon contracts subsidized university research for decades.

> And what does "cell-phonization" have to do with the spread of
> English?

The cellphone market contradicts your thesis of an all-encompassing, almighty, impregnable US Empire. This is 2005, not 1985.

-- DRR