[lbo-talk] Wal-Mart as Robin Hood

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Mar 7 14:45:08 PST 2005

Doug:
> [this is one of the most ingenious apologies for Wal-Mart ever
> devised - Robin Hood with parking...]
>
> New York Times - March 6, 2005
>
> ON THE CONTRARY
> Welcome to Sherwood Forest, Er, Wal-Mart

But he has a point - in many rural areas (cf. PA) Walmart is a blessing both in terms of employment and shopping opportunities. I do not like Walmart because their service and commodity tend to be of poor quality, their selection is not exactly in my taste, the place is crowded, lines are long - so why bother? But their labor practices are not that much different from other retailers.

Wojtek