[lbo-talk] Hezbollah Monkey Wrenches The Script

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 11:32:52 PST 2005

> The official story is pretty ludicrous to anyone who knows anything about
> Lebanon. Far from some national uprising against Syrian occupation, it's
> basically a continuation of the civil war, with different ethnic
> communities
> lining up on different sides. Granted, long-time opportunists like
> Jumblatt
> (whose leftist Druze militias fought the Maronite Phalangists alongside
> Sunnis and Palestinians in the old days) are now alongside the Christians
> on
> the anti-Syrian side, but it's still the case that Lebanon is a country
> sorely divided on communal lines, and there's really nothing more to this
> story. The Beirut "opposition" is not fighting for abstract "democracy,"
> but
> its constituent elements are fighting for their own particular communal
> interests.

> John Lacny

Quite right. I haven't yet read any of the blog skawkers on this, but my guess is that they'll cite the far larger (half a mil) number of pro-Syrian Lebanese who hit the streets to confirm that Tyranny has the advantage over the smaller (70K) turnout by the "opposition." In other words, the Cedar Rev will quickly become the Cedar Resistance -- from Voice of the People to besieged minority in 48 short hours!

DP