[lbo-talk] Question: Source of High European/Relatively Low US Unemployment

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 13:58:43 PST 2005

Doug suggests that my initial supposition is not right and that this makes irrelevant the question of how to explain the correlation that isn't there. But isn't it there? It isn't as dramatic as I thought, but in 2003 the US was two full percentage points below Europe in unemploymenrt, or to put it another way, 25% lower. That's way outside two standard deviations. Now, the phenomenon of high unemployment in low wage EU countries suggests that the Standard Economic Explanation of the difference isn't right (by itself), but there is still omething here to be explained.