[lbo-talk] Bipartisan Support for Twin Occupations

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 8 23:43:51 PST 2005

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com, Tue Mar 8 21:32:26 PST 2005;
>[Half a lung kaput and a heart encrusted with scar tissue, Clinton *still*
>won't shut his ever-jiving mouth.]
>NEWS ANALYSIS
>For Bush, No Boasts, but a Taste of Vindication
>By TODD S. PURDUM

Observe the contrast between George Herbert Walker Bush and Bill Clinton:

Mr. Clinton was more ebullient, noting that the Iraqi elections "went better than anyone could have imagined." In Lebanon, he said, "the Syrians are going to have to get out of there and give the Lebanese their country back, and I think the fact that the Lebanese are in the street demanding it is wonderful."

Asked about huge demonstrations on Tuesday, sponsored by Hezbollah, that demanded just the opposite, Mr. Clinton said: "I find it inconceivable that most Lebanese wouldn't like it if they had their country back. You know, they want their country back and they ought to get it." (Todd S. Purdum, "For Bush, No Boasts, but a Taste of Vindication," <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/international/middleeast/09assess.html>, March 9. 2004)</blockquote>

Then, read the following excerpt from Bill Clinton's statement regarding Lebanon and Syria while he was running for president in 1992:

"The Bush Administration appears willing to sacrifice the prospects for an independent Lebanon in order to curry favor with Syria's dictator, Hafiz al-Asad. to acquiesce now to Syria's control over Lebanon would show disdain for our long-standing commitment to Lebanon's territorial integrity and independence. ("Statement of Presidential Candidate Bill Clinton on Lebanon (Excerpts)," <http://www.lcps-lebanon.org/pub/breview/br4/clinton.html>, September 18, 1992)</blockquote>

Now, count the votes of the Syria Accountability and Lebanese Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2003, which the Senate voted for 89-4 (at <http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/US-Israel/hr1828b.html>). Among the four No votes, two were Republican, one was Independent, and one was Democrat: Chafee (R-RI), Enzi (R-WY), Jeffords (I-VT), and Byrd (D-WV).

Lastly, see Hillary Rodham Clinton's statement and letter to George W. Bush:

Washington, DC -- Speaking to the Jewish Council for Public Affairs in Washington, DC yesterday, Senator Clinton called for tougher sanctions against Syria, expressing concern about Syria's increasingly aggressive position in the region and saying that a clear message must be sent that terrorist activity will not be tolerated.

Excerpts of Senator Clinton's remarks to the Jewish Council for Public Affairs follow:

"In this critical time, it is important that we recognize the extraordinary stand that Prime Minister Sharon and the Government of Israel have taken as they face the risks and challenges of disengagement and attempt to try to deal with the newly elected Palestinian Leadership.

We were all horrifically reminded last Friday in Tel Aviv, that there are still many who do not want there to be any kind of forward progress, who not only commit acts of nihilistic violence, but are hoping that by so doing, to create conditions that are impossible for any positive move forwardŠ

We also have to be aware, that it's not only a dangerous neighborhood, but a neighborhood in which very few of the neighbors are committed to what Prime Minister Sharon is doing or what we hope will come from the Palestinian Leadership, particularly Iran and Syria who continue to try to upset the balance in the region and pose such great threats, not only to peace and stability, but in Iran's case, with the potential of a nuclear capacity and in Syria's case with the continuation of the support for terrorism that flows from Damascus.

I've been particularly troubled by Syria's aggressive posture in the region, and along with a bipartisan group of Senators, I have sent a letter to President Bush urging him to tighten sanctions on SyriaŠ because we need to send a very clear message that we will not tolerate what we believe to be and have reason to know, is the continuing support of terrorism that comes out of Syria and Iran."

Late last month, Senator Clinton joined Senators Frank Lautenberg (NJ), Gordon Smith (OR) and others, in calling on President Bush to tighten sanctions against Syria under the Syria and Lebanese Sovereignty Act of 2003. The Act gives the President the discretion to adjust the level of sanctions on Syria. This is the legislation on which the May 2004 trade sanctions against Syria were imposed. In their letter, the Senators also cited Syria's failure to secure the Iraq border, its refusal to remove its troops from Lebanon and its practice of harboring leaders who order, plan, and finance terror attacks against Israeli citizens, as further grounds for immediate action.

[The full text of the letter to President Bush follows]

February 17, 2005

The Honorable George W. Bush President of the United States The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW Washington, DC 20500

Dear President Bush,

In light of this week's assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri in Beirut, we urge you to tighten sanctions on Syria. Our message to the Syrians, and to other undemocratic regimes in the region, must be clear and direct: terrorist activity will not be tolerated.

The Syria and Lebanese Sovereignty Act of 2003, on which you based your May 2004 trade sanctions against Syria, was passed in response to Syria's support for terrorism, its occupation of Lebanon, and its pursuit of dangerous weapons. As you know, the legislation we passed gives you the discretion to adjust the level of sanctions on Syria.

Neither the U.S. nor our allies can afford to let Syria off the hook. The Syrians have failed to secure the Iraq border, permitting the infiltration of foreign terrorists into Iraq. Syria continues to harbor leaders who order, plan, and finance terror attacks against Israeli citizens. Operatives of the Islamic Jihad, Hamas, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, and the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades regularly receive training in Syrian camps. In addition to its sponsorship of terrorism, the government of Syria has ignored and violated multiple U.N. resolutions by refusing to remove its troops from Lebanon. As long as Syria continues to occupy Lebanon and train suicide bombers, the region is not safe.

In order to demonstrate our nation's intolerance for terrorism, we urge you to take strong action against Syria. We also urge you to reach out to our allies around the world to encourage them to stand firm against Syria's actions and policies.

Sincerely,

Sen. Allen [R] Sen. Smith [R] Sen. Hutchison [R] Sen. Brownback [R] Sen. Kyl [R] Sen. Lautenberg [D] Sen. Clinton [D] Sen. Wyden [D] Sen. Ben Nelson [D] Sen. Bill Nelson [D] Sen. Schumer [D]</blockquote>

An impressive display of bipartisanship -- in which, if anything, the Democratic Party has acted as a prod.

The attack on Syria and Hezbollah shows that it is important for activists, organizers, and intellectuals on the left to not separate the occupation of Iraq from the question of Israel/Palestine since the US power elite have linked them in practice. to treat the US occupation of Iraq and US support for the Israeli occupation as mutually reinforcing geopolitical goals of Washington (not just Team Bush), and to squarely oppose bipartisan support for the twin occupations. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>