[lbo-talk] Verso's surplus value extraction [was Re: U.S. Reports Accelerating Job Growth]

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 10 08:36:47 PST 2005

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Jordan Hayes wrote:
>
>>>I spent six years writing Wall Street and made <$10,000
>>
>>That's really pathetic. Is the book business as bad as the music
>>business?
>>
>>How much did it make for Verso?
>
>About $300,000, I think. Nice rate of surplus value extraction, eh?

With cash like that to fuel its expansion, I can understand how Verso -- self-described "as a publisher combining editorial intelligence, elegant production and marketing flair" -- has, as they note, "quadrupled in size over the past decade." Verso's website also states that "the company will continue its progress towards the mainstream of the industry without compromising its radical commitment."

I can see how Verso's fuck-the-author spirit makes it one with the mainstream of the industry, but I can't quite grasp how this does not compromise its radical commitment.

<http://www.versobooks.com/verso_info/about.shtml>

Carl