[lbo-talk] "God's Politics"

lbo at inkworkswell.com lbo at inkworkswell.com
Thu Mar 10 09:50:03 PST 2005

"...religion has to be disciplined by democracy. That means you don't enter the public square and say I'm religious so I ought to win. Or God has spoken to me directly and I have the fix for Social Security. You say my faith motivates me. It shapes my convictions or it compels me to act on behalf of the poor, or peace, or whatever."

Jim Wallis is a powerful voice in the American political wilderness. A born again Christian and social justice advocate, Jim Wallis is editor and founder of the liberal evangelical magazine Sojourners and the author of God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It. Wallis preaches an inclusive religious message, not one focused on divisively narrow "moral value" wedge issues. His message is centered on issues of true moral force – like justice for the poor. As a committed evangelical Christian, Wallis describes how the religious right has distorted the American image of an evangelical, holding up as icons people like Jerry Falwell. Wallis lays out bold ideas for how progressives can advance their goals with an accessible language of faith and values.

CampusProgress.org is delighted to offer an audio excerpt of God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It, read by the author. http://www.campusprogress.org/soundvision/174/gods-politics-by-jim-wallis

http://www.inkworkswell.com +1 (727) 942-9255