[lbo-talk] bankruptcy

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Mar 10 13:52:36 PST 2005

How hard is it to get a mortgage, having filed in the past. I wouldn't want to have to live in the same house forever.

mbs

Doug:
> With bankruptcy "reform" now certain of passage, I'm going to do what
> I never otherwise do: give financial advice.
>
> If you've got a credit card problem (and live in the USA), think very
> seriously about filing - NOW.
>
> Individual circs may vary, so consult a lawyer. But it's highly likely
> that if you're sweating to service your debts, "going chapter"
> (as an old Texan friend of mine says) may make your life a lot easier,
> and with fewer side-effects than you may fear.
>
> Doug
>
> PS: You can't discharge student loan, tax, or mortgage debt, so
> bankruptcy won't help you there. But credit cards, absolutely.

I wholeheartedly second. The costs are minimal, speaking from experience. And under no circumstances fall for "debt restructuring" schemes that some "bankruptcy" services may push - because these are ploys devised by credit card companies to prevent people from filing for bankruptcy.

Wojtek