[lbo-talk] Re: [Marxism] the politics of paranoia

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 10 15:44:44 PST 2005

>"recovered memory" (not repressed memory), with some REMOTE
>connections to psychoanalysis, was more or less a creation of the
>new "feminist" therapies of the 1970's, most of them decidedly not
>Freudian, and, for many of them, the main enemy was men, as fathers,
>lovers, potential rapists, etc. I really defy you to show me a
>"liberal feminist psychoanalyst" who propagated this "recovered
>memory" crap. I think Ofra Bikel did an eyeopening documentary on
>this 10-12 years ago.
>
>steve heeren

I've seen the same phenomenon refereed to by various terms -- "recovered memory," "repressed memory," and "false memory" (the last term used by skeptics) -- both in popular magazines and scholarly literature.

As for the nature of your main objection, my contention wasn't that most therapists who created and propagated the idea of recovering repressed memory of child abuse were Freudian, though, as Freud put it, "The theory of repression is the corner-stone on which the whole structure of psycho-analysis rests." I don't know if the original proponents were Freudian psychoanalysts or other schools of psychoanalysts, but eventually the belief in the recovered memory spread very widely within the therapeutic profession:

A different approach to the issue of therapist belief was taken by Loftus and Herzog (1991). This study involved in-depth interviews with 16 clinicians who had seen at least one repressed memory case. In this small, nonrandom sample, 13 (81%) said they invariably believed their clients. One therapist said, "if a woman said it happened, it happened." Another said, "I have no reason not to believe them." The most common basis for belief was symptomatology (low self-esteem, sexual dysfunction, self-destructive behavior), or body memories (voice frozen at young age, rash on body matching inflicted injury). More than two thirds of the clinicians reacted emotionally to any use of the term authentic, feeling that determining what is authentic and what is not authentic is not the job of a therapist. The conclusion from this small study was that therapists believe their clients and often use symptomatology as evidence. (Elizabeth F. Loftus, "The Reality of Repressed Memories," _American Psychologist_ 48, 1993, <http://faculty.washington.edu/eloftus/Articles/lof93.htm>)</blockquote>

Initially, most clients who believed that they recovered their repressed memory of sexual abuse were women and children, but nowadays an increasing number of men, too, seem to suffer from the same idea, as some of the Catholic Church sex scandals, which has given a second wind to the false memory syndrome, show. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>