[lbo-talk] The Indispensable Avakian

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 10 16:03:50 PST 2005

Max Sawicky wrote:

>My regard for Cornel West drops a couple of notches --
>
>http://www.insidehighered.com/views/intellectual_affairs__11

[from the same column - conflict alerts: Astra's a friend of mine (and her sister Sunny was just on my radio show), and the Documentary Campaign my next door office neighbor - saw a rough cut of the movie a few weeks ago & it's absolutely great - a slightly less rough cut will be shown at the Brecht Forum in NYC soon - watch this space for announcements]

Zizek is known for illuminating Lacan's work with examples from daily life and popular culture. But Astra Taylor, who is now putting the finishing touches on a documentary on Zizek, figured that the film would work better if some of those illustrations were themselves illustrated. So the exposition will include animated sequences -- in short, brief psychoanalytic cartoons.

People who have spent time puzzling over Lacan's quasi-mathematical diagrams <http://gaogoa.free.fr/HTML/Lacan/nouage.htm> can only greet this news with both curiosity and the sense that, after seeing the film, they are probably going to have some really weird dreams.

In any case, Zizek: The Movie will premier at the Roxie Cinema in San Francisco on April 21, with the subject of the film himself in attendance. And the filmmaker is preparing to tour college campuses with the documentary this spring, with screenings now scheduled for Emory University, the University of Georgia, the University of California at Berkeley, and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Taylor is still putting her travel plans together, so anyone interested in arranging a campus showing should contact her <mailto:astra at documentarycampaign.org>. For more information on the film itself, check out its Web site <http://www.documentarycampaign.org/zizek.html>. Zizek: The Movie goes into general release this fall.