[lbo-talk] formatting stuff (was: Gorby is a wanker)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 11 09:16:44 PST 2005

Chris Doss wrote:

> Contemporary Russia doesn't value Mikhail
>Gorbachev
>and the
>perestroika he initiated. Judging by opinion polls,
>attempts to
>teach Russian citizens about democratic liberties and
>the
>values of
>Western civilization have repelled most of them. The
>latest poll
>done by the National Public Opinion Research Center
>(VTsIOM) shows
>that most respondents (61%) take a negative view of
>perestroika.
>Similar findings are reported by the Complex Social
>Studies
>Institute (CSSI) at the Russian Academy of Sciences:
>63%
>of
>respondents dislike perestroika. Gorbachev himself may
>
>find some
>comfort in the thought that the people think more
>kindly
>of him than
>of his achievements. Only 45% of respondents in the
>VTsIOM
>poll and
>49% in the CSSI poll say they dislike Gorbachev
>personally.

Compare:

>Contemporary Russia doesn't value Mikhail Gorbachev and the
>perestroika he initiated. Judging by opinion polls, attempts to
>teach Russian citizens about democratic liberties and the values of
>Western civilization have repelled most of them. The latest poll
>done by the National Public Opinion Research Center (VTsIOM) shows
>that most respondents (61%) take a negative view of perestroika.
>Similar findings are reported by the Complex Social Studies
>Institute (CSSI) at the Russian Academy of Sciences: 63% of
>respondents dislike perestroika. Gorbachev himself may find some
>comfort in the thought that the people think more kindly of him than
>of his achievements. Only 45% of respondents in the VTsIOM poll and
>49% in the CSSI poll say they dislike Gorbachev personally.

A third as many lines and much easier to read. I don't mean to single out Chris on this, but could posters please format stuff a little more cleanly before hitting <send>? Hundreds of subscribers, and thousands more archive readers will be deeply grateful. Kelley's posted a website that will do this; I did it on my computer in about three seconds using a Mac program called textSOAP; there's a Windows version too <http://www.unmarked.com/>.

Doug