[lbo-talk] Tibetans willing to remain within China: Dalai Lama

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 12:13:44 PST 2005

Tibetans willing to remain within China: Dalai Lama

Press Trust of India

Dharamsala, March 10, 2005|15:52 IST

Convinced that remaining within China was best for the progress of Tibetans, their spiritual leader the Dalai Lama on Thursday said he was hopeful that eventually the two sides would develop "necessary trust" and resolve the Tibet issue to "our mutual benefit".

In a statement on the 46th anniversary of the Tibetan People's Uprising, he said "I want to reassure the Chinese authorities that as long as I am responsible for the affairs of Tibet, we remain fully committed to the Middle Way Approach of not seeking independence for Tibet and are willing to remain within the People's Republic of China.

"I am convinced that in the long run such an approach is of benefit to the Tibetan people for their material progress," he said.

The Dalai Lama along with thousands of Tibetans has been living in exile in India for the last 45 years after China annexed their country.

Expressing happiness about renewed contacts with the Chinese leadership and the outcome of the third round of meetings last September, the Dalai Lama said "we remain hopeful that eventually we will be able to develop the necessary trust and resolve this long-standing issue to our mutual benefit."

The Dalai Lama said that he had stated over a decade ago that when Tibetans return to their land "with a certain degree of freedom", he would not hold any office or political position and the present Tibetan administration in exile in Dharamshala would be dissolved.

However, Tibetans working in Tibet should carry on the main responsibility of administering the region, the Dalai Lama said.

Commending China for the economic progress it had made in the last two decades, he, however, added that its image was "tarnished by her human rights records, undemocratic actions, the lack of the rule of the law and unequal implementation of autonomy rights regarding minorities, including the Tibetans.

"All these are a cause for more suspicion and distrust from the outside world... In my view, it is important that as China becomes a powerful and respectable nation, she should be able to adopt a reasonable policy with confidence."

While acknowledging that there had been a great deal of economic and infrastructural progress since the formation of the Tibet Autonomous Region four decades ago - "the Golmud-Lhasa railway link being built is a case in point" - he said people of the region had been facing suspicions and growing restrictions.

"The absence of genuine stability in Tibet clearly shows that things are not well in Tibet and that basically there is a problem," he said.

The Dalai Lama also expressed gratitude to the people and Government of India for their "steadfast sympathy and support.

"I very much feel a part of this nation not only because of the centuries-old religious and cultural ties that India and Tibet enjoyed but also because I and most of the Tibetans in exile have lived in India for the past 45 years," he said.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1273570,00050004.htm

-- Magic is always the best solution -- especially reliable magic. * TagZilla 0.057 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org