[lbo-talk] Marketing the Chronicles of Narnia

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 11 15:09:16 PST 2005

"Max B. Sawicky" wrote:

> There is no such thing as Judeo-Christian ideology.
> > That would be like Cat-Mouse Ideology.
>
> I once heard Immanuel Wallerstein describe how, in the early stages of the
> Cold War, US ideologists invented something that had not existed previously:
> "Judeo-Christian civilization." It's definitely a category of recent
> vintage.

[Whose post is being quoted here?]

I tried to trace it a couple years ago in connection with a thread on the Milton-L list, and this late dating of the concept is correct I believe. "Western Civilization" is also (at least as a very common term) of Cold War origins. If you follow "western" and "civilization" through the OED you don't really get very many occurences of them to gether until the last half century. The very first occurrence of "Judeo-Christian" if I remember correctly was in an attack on a group of Christians who were said to be "Judaizing" the religion.

And in this context, "Judeo-Christian" or "Judeo-Christian civilization" _is_ an ideology, not a label of one or more religions. Its content is whatever vague general feelings and bits of common sense support U.S. imperialism.

Carrol