[lbo-talk] bankruptcy

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Mar 11 17:10:31 PST 2005

I was thinking that serfdom might be next, but fortunately both that and debtor's prison are precluded by the United States Constitution.

^^^ CB: Beware: War undeclared by Congress and imprisonment without Due Process are also precluded theoretically by the US Constitution, but the Presidents and Congresses are in flagrant violation of these. The First Amendment clause prohibiting establishment of religion is also eroding. Then the Supreme Court selecting the President violates Separation of Powers , to put it euphemistically.

^^^^^^

My bet is that there will be a push to make it easier to collect the debts of consumers - such as watering down statutory prohibitions againsts unfair debt collection practices, extending the time in which money judgments can be enforced (in California a judgment is good for 10 years and can be renewed for another 10 years) and limiting protections to defaulting homeowners. By necessity, such measures would have to be enacted on the state as opposed to federl levels. Stev

^^^^^^^^

CB: Yes, more slipping into social fascism. The reactionary development of a 1920's social "services" system in 2005 is a social fascist movement.